We can’t help it. The cooler weather and shorter days make us want to hole up in the kitchen and cook things like beef and barley stew and chocolate chip cookies. All the classic comforts of our childhood. You too?
I grew up in the Midwest where comfort usually meant something starchy and cheesy. With a nice cookie for dessert. These are the recipes I grew up with:
• 1. Beef and Barley Stew with Mushrooms - This is stick-to-your-ribs good
• 2. Classic Chili - It’s hard to go wrong with a bowl of chili.
• 3. Butternut Squash Soup - Another favorite this time of year.
• 4. Homemade Macaroni and Cheese - Cheese and pasta. That’s it. So good.
• 5. Twice Baked Potatoes - This is basically an excuse to eat mashed potatoes for dinner.
• 6. Shepherd’s Pie - A slightly more well-rounded excuse for eating mashed potatoes for dinner.
• 7. Roasted Chicken - Just the aroma of a chicken roasting in the oven makes feel cozy and relaxed.
• 8. Meatballs in Tomato Sauce - Tender and slightly charred on the outside, classic meatballs are some of the best things on earth.
• 9. Chocolate Chip Cookies - A bad day can only get better with a few of these cookies and a glass of milk.
• 10. Peanut Butter Oatmeal Monster Cookies - Peanut butter is one of the most comforting substances imaginable.
• 11. Apple Pie - A pie like this is totally worth the effort.
• 12. Butterscotch Pudding - The only way to eat this is curled up on the couch with a blanket and a good book.
What comfort foods are you craving right now?
Related: Best Healthy Comfort Foods? Ideas Wanted!
(Images: see individual links)