This is one of our favorite times of year for beer. Oktoberfests and pumpkin beers are lingering on the shelves while winter seasonals are starting to appear next to them. An IPA still sounds good on a warm afternoon, but darker stouts and bocks are nudging their way in. Here are our top beer picks for sipping right now.
1. Best Brown Ale from Bell's Brewery - This one has a nice balance of sweet malts and earthy hops. It's perfect for in-between weather.
2. Maudite from Unibroue - A strong red ale done in the Belgian style, this beer tastes spicy and fruity. It has a super crisp finish and would make a nice fit for your end-of-summer barbecues.
3. Troegenator Double Bock from Tröegs Brewing Company - So smooth and malty, we think of this as beer candy. This will certainly warm you up on a cool fall day.
4. Dead Guy Ale from Rogue Brewery - An oldie but goodie. It always makes us think of toast with honey. It has a similar whole-grain flavor tempered by that deep herbal-floral taste of wild honey.
5. Fade to Black from Left Hand Brewing Company - This one is so dark, it almost tastes burnt. Think: molasses, espresso, bittersweet chocolate, and anise.
6. A Little Sumpin' Extra Imperial IPA from Lagunitas - This special release is surprisingly sweet for an IPA, but somehow this works with its hoppy citrus bite. It's also so creamy that we almost want to lick it like ice cream.
• If you can't find these beers near you, look for them online: Half Time Beverage
What beers are you loving right now?