2. Tile has a huge variation in price point. What are four or five of your favorite lower-budget tiles?
My favorite way to create a "high end look for less" is to mix an inexpensive ceramic backsplash tile with either stone or glass. You can use stone or glass mosaics, cut them into strips and add them to your backsplash design. You can also use a decorative stone liner as an accent piece. Some other inexpensive options:
• You can take a large wall or floor ceramic tile and lay it out in a horizontal or vertical brick pattern. This covers a lot of space for not a lot of money.
• Glass mosaic tile has become a budget-friendly backsplash option. Our pricing starts at $11.99 a square foot.
• Ceramic mosaics are also an inexpensive option. Ours start at $4.49 a square foot. The penny rounds are hot right now.
• Ceramic mosaics are being made to mimic natural stone. It is hard to tell the difference, but they cost a lot less. Ours start at $6.39 a square foot.
• Decorative glass liners can add a lot of punch to a backsplash. These start at $3.99 apiece (they are 6 inches long).
• Ceramic profiles like twist pencils can add texture and depth to a backsplash.
• Milk Rounded Corner 1"x1" Ceramic Mosaic - $4.99 sf
• Penny Round Moss Ceramic Mosaic - $5.59 sf
• Mallorca 2"x2" Ceramic Mosaic - $6.39 sf
• Aloe Glass Brule .75"x6" - $3.99 a piece
• Imperial Bianco Washed Pencil 8" long - $8.99 a piece
3. Do you think plain white subway tile will ever look dated?
I personally believe that white subway tile has, and will always be, a classic. You can make it your own by mixing it with stone or glass and create a custom look. You could also jazz it up by setting it in a herringbone or vertical brick pattern.
4. What are your favorite budget-friendly alternatives to subway tile?
Some fresh alternatives to subway tile that are budget friendly:
• Glass 3"x6"
• Glass mini brick mosaics
• Natural stone 3"x6" or 4"x8" - these are available with straight, pillowed, and beveled edges
• Natural stone amalfi brick pattern mosaics - available in several stone choices
• Bucak Amalfi stone brick mosaic (2"x4" on 12" mesh); $11.99 sf
Pictured above, clockwise from top left:
• Bucak Medley Amalfi 12 x 12 in - $11.99/sf
• Amethyst Brick Glass .65 x 1.85 in - $19.99/sf
• Biltmore Amalfi 12 x 12 in - $11.99/sf
• Gobi Amalfi 12 x 12 in - $10.99/sf
• Copper Rust REL 3 x 6 in - $5.99/sf
• Glass Smokey 3 x 6 in - $18.99/sf
• Visit Kirsty's tile inspiration blog: The Tile Shop - Design by Kirsty
• Visit The Tile Shop: The Tile Shop