How do you cook and shred a pork shoulder? How do you carve a roast chicken? How do you check the temperature on a turkey? What's the secret to crispy skin? What's the best way to package meat before freezing? The answers to all these, plus many, many more in our definitive tips, tricks, and techniques guide to MEAT.
Cooking Tutorials, Techniques, and Tips
• How to cook a turkey.
• How to cook moist and tender chicken breasts every time.
• How to cook and shred a pork shoulder.
• How to grind your own meat in the food processor.
• How to make meatballs.
• How to cook steak in the oven.
• How to cook and brown ground beef.
• How to sear meat.
• How to cook great ribs in the oven.
• How to roast a chicken (and then how to carve it)
• How to grind your own sausage.
• How to choose the best meat for beef stew.
• How to tell when your steak is done.
• How to brine meat.
• How to determine how much meat you should have per person.
• How to check the temperature on a turkey.
• The difference between braising and stewing.
Flavoring, Freezing, and Thawing Tips
• For the best flavor, grill meat before braising.
• For the perfect steak, first freeze it solid, then cook for an hour.
• For crispy skin, season meat under the skin.
• How to package meat for freezing.
• How to freeze and thaw meat.
• The best way to reheat meat? Do it in a cast iron skillet.
Shopping and Prep
• A shopping guide to cheap cuts of beef.
• What to do if you don't have a roasting rack.
• Find cheaper chicken at the meat counter.
• What to look for when shopping for beef.
It's Reader Request Week at The Kitchn!
This post was requested by honeybun.
Originally published 11.8.2012.
(Image credits: The Kitchn)