Trust me, I love a good cask-aged barleywine or a glass of imperial stout. But I usually save those heavy-hitter beers for special occasions and lazy Saturdays. For casual weeknight dinners, I keep one of these casual weeknight beers stocked in my fridge.
These beers are like old friends. I come back to them again and again, and I never seem to tire of their flavors. They have enough alcohol to help me relax, but not so much that I feel it the next morning.
• Racer 5 from Bear Republic Brewing Co.
- A fantastic IPA and a fantastic addition to everything from Pizza Night to Taco Night.
• Indian Brown Ale from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery
- Not too sweet or too bitter, this beer is just right. My pick to go with roast chicken and pasta dishes.
• Left Hand Milk Stout from Left Hand Brewing Company
- This is my husband's favorite beer and I'm not complaining. Smooth and sweet, we like it with slow-cooked braises and stews.
• Amber Ale from Bell's Brewery
- Totally balanced with bright citrus and mellow caramel flavors. I love it with burgers and big dinner salads alike.
What are your favorite everyday beers to go with dinner?
Related: Beer for Dessert: 5 Great Beers to End a Meal
(Image: Flickr member ktylerconk licensed under Creative Commons)