"Do you know what I'd like to do, Wall? I'd like to drink a glass of wine
in the country where the grape was grown. Sitting by the sea, just sipping wine
and watching the sun go down." — Shirley Valentine
Sometimes we long to visit a favorite corner of the globe but for various reasons (time, commitments, economy) we just can't get away. One way I appease my hunger for both travel and food is to cook up a meal based on the country or region I'm pining for and then afterwards screen a film that most expresses my yearning for that place. Read on for my list of cuisines and films, and please add your favorites to it!
Food and films are two of my most favorite things. When I'm longing for escape to a land far away but just can't manage to leave, I reach for:
- Fish & Chips or Greek food and Shirley Valentine
- French and anything by Marcel Pagnol
- Italian and a few hours from The Best of Youth
- Japanese and Tampopo or Enlightenment Guaranteed
- Vietnamese and The Vertical Ray of the Sun
- Korean and a few episodes of from a Korean Food drama on Hulu such as Pasta or My Lovely Sam Soon
I could go on, but what about you? What escape film and food combo would you pair up? Anything for India, Africa, Mexico or the Middle East? How about China, or New Orleans, or Argentina?
Related: The Celluloid Pantry Archives