I'm definitely of the "throw some great albums in a playlist and hit Random" mindset when it comes to party tunes. Much like my attitude toward dinner party dishes, I figure that if I put enough good music in the mix, it will all come out just fine. Which is how I end up with such strange musical bedfellows as The Heartless Bastards with Mumford & Sons, or Andrew Bird right after Cloud Cult. But hey, once the wine is open and the snacks come out, it's all good.
I aim for a blend of highs and lows in my music mix: slow and steady crooners along with perky upbeat artists who can bring a little head-bopping to the room. Like Chris's mix, my playlist is an ever-evolving thing of new finds and old favorites. I find this also works really well for a party scene — the familiar songs help people relax and feel comfortable while the new songs add some energy.
For this mix today, I picked a favorite tune from each of the albums I have in my current party playlist. Enjoy!
Emma's Strange Bedfellows Party Tunes
- Pacific Bray - Horse Feathers
- If I Needed You - Andrew Bird
- My Father's Father - Civil Wars
- I Still Care For You - Ray LaMontagne
- Dead Sea - The Lumineers
- Lovin' In My Baby's Eyes - Ollabelle
- 3,6,9 - Cat Power
- Lorelai - Fleet Foxes
- Try to Sleep - Low
- This Year - Mountain Goats
- Low Low Low - Heartless Bastards
- Whispers in the Dark - Mumford & Sons
- I'm Not The One - The Black Keys
- You're the Only Thing in Your Way - Cloud Cult
- Cool Yourself - Thao
Spot any favorites in there? Any new artists you think I should check out?
Related: Musical Microwave: Replacing Beeps with a Beat
(Images: Cover Art via Spotify)