Like this entry? Favorite it below!
- Seattle, WA
- Square Feet:
- What makes your small kitchen so cool:
- My kitchen is the perfect size for me - my little fridge fits perfectly under the big butcher-block counter and holds everything I need for a week or two of meals, and I love the open shelving above the sink and the overall streamlined feel. The best part about this kitchen: It was designed by my wonderful dad! He and my uncle built it from the drywall up in about a week, after which my mom and I did the painting and tiling and created the window treatments and "fridge curtains" from old table runners!
- Describe a challenge you've overcome or a smart resource you've found for your kitchen.
- The major challenge with a small kitchen like this was where to put the fridge? (Especially without blocking the window that provides much-needed daylight into this basement apartment.) The answer was a mini-sized fridge. My dad and uncle constructed the cabinets around a space just large enough to place a small 3' tall fridge into. I bought the fridge on craigslist for $50.
- What's your favorite meal to cook here?
- Pie! Rhubarb, specifically, from the garden in the backyard. That's a meal, right? My big butcher-block counter is great for rolling out pie dough - I bet I have the space to do 4 crusts at a time! (I will not be doing this, as I do not have the patience.) Also, even though my oven is small, it's large enough to bake 2 pies at a time. Who needs a big fancy beast of an oven when you can have a little worker-bee oven like mine?
See all entries
More posts in this series
Small Cool Kitchens 2013