- Long Beach, CA
- Square Feet:
- What makes your small kitchen so cool:
- The best way I've heard someone describe our kitchen is that it "feels like a garage." I took this wholeheartedly as a compliment: all off my cookware and ingredients are easily found and within reach, which makes cooking a dream and clean-up a cinch (for the most part). We also use our kitchen as a space for displaying some of our favorite possessions, from an old Atlanta Falcons pennant, to the paddle board given to my mother during her sorority rush, to David's collection of lunch boxes.
- Describe a challenge you've overcome or a smart resource you've found for your kitchen.
- Believe it or not, when we first moved in, there was a washer and dryer in the kitchen. I'm fairly certain the folks who lived here previously ordered take-out all the time, because there isn't any proper pantry space in the kitchen, and what storage there is is very limited. While the prospect of in-house laundry thrilled David, I made him a deal: if we let the washer and dryer go (we would have had to purchase the units, anyway), I would gladly do our laundry on my own, all by my lonesome, at the laundromat. Now, he gets all his meals cooked and his laundry done, and I get piece of mind and a rad kitchen that I love. A fair trade, I'd say. You can see where the washer and dryer were in photos 3 & 4. We purchased the storage rack to put in their place, and the washer and dryer hook-ups are obscured by the shelf filled with cookbooks. You would never know if I didn't tell you.
- What's your favorite meal to cook here?
- The one drawback to our kitchen is that there isn't a lot of space for prepping and chopping (mostly the area to the right of the stove, in front of the coffee maker). To that end, I keep a wooden stool in the kitchen for additional prep space or mise en place. I share this because my favorite meals to cook are the ones where I use every little bit of space: tofu pressed and draining on the stool, onions chopped in front of the coffeemaker, noodles cooling in the window sill, and inevitably some component gets thrown on a plate to wait on the step-stool as well. Lately, due to a recent heatwave, we've been doing a lot of cold dishes: cold noodles with peanut sauce and cold noodles with wilted bok choy have been recent hits.
Small Cool Kitchens