Ready for fall? Fall to us means deliciously creamy, nutty butternut squash (and other winter squash varieties too, of course). Here are eight of our favorite ways to enjoy a butternut squash — from soup to nuts, with recipes too! First, some guidance on getting the thing peeled and open:
• How to Cut a Butternut Squash
• How To Peel Squash: An Easier Way
Eight Things To Do With a Butternut Squash
1. Sauté with pasta - This Pasta with Butternut Squash, Sage, and Pine Nuts is an all-time favorite. (My husband and I served it at our wedding.) We also love this pasta with squash and bitter greens and fresh mozzarella, as well as this version with sage and brown butter.
2. Bake it into a pie - We love these Butternut Squash, Sage, and Parmesan Pasties. They are handheld pies that are just perfect for the lunchbox.
3. Puree it with cheese - Creamier than mashed potatoes, and just as good: Butternut Squash Puree with Goat Cheese.
4. Make soup - A step up from a basic puree, and so rich and comforting (and no need for too much fat — the squash itself is so rich): Cream of Winter Squash and Tomato Soup.
5. Toss it in a salad - Warm, just-tender chunks of sweet squash make a wonderful add-in for a spicy arugula salad (and fall is the perfect time for cold weather-loving greens like arugula): Warm Butternut Squash and Arugula Salad.
6. Make a dip - Squash makes a great appetizer! Butternut Squash and Parmesan Dip.
7. Cook it into sweet jam - Unusual, yes, but totally worth a try. This sweet squash compote has Brazilian and Portuguese roots, and it's amazingly good: Sweet Butternut Squash and Coconut Jam.
8. Simpy roast it - And of course you can just roast and squash and enjoy it with a little salt and pepper, or roast alongside another vegetable, as it is here: Roasted Kohlrabi and Butternut Squash.
What is your favorite thing to do with butternut squash?
Related: Recipe: Butternut Squash & Coconut Curry
(Images: See linked posts for full image credits.)