Who knew that eggplants came in so many shapes and colors? We're sure some of you did, but it's a whole new world to us, as we've only recently joined the eggplant lovers club – and just in time for the start of eggplant season at our farmers' market!
At the Hollywood farmers' market, we are seeing purple, green, and white eggplants, some small and egg shaped, others long and slender.
We are just beginning to learn what the different heirloom varieties are, how they taste, and which ones are best for roasting on the grill or incorporating into some of our favorite Mediterranean, Middle Eastern, and Asian dishes. (Eggplant is such an internationally beloved fruit/vegetable, how could we have been so ambivalent about it?!)
Which eggplant varieties are you fond of? How do you like to cook them?
• Learning to Love Eggplant: How to Pick 'Em, Cook 'Em, and Eat 'Em
• Good Question: Why is My Roasted Eggplant Bitter?
• Chinese Five Spice Eggplant
• D.I.Y. Baba Ghanoush
• Eggplant Caponata Sandwiches with Mozzarella
• Eggplant Wraps with Goat Cheese
• Goat Cheese Tart with Roasted Eggplant, Zucchini, and Caramelized Onions
• Pasta alla Norma from Cook's Illustrated
• Harvest Cooking: Eggplant!
• Virtual CSA Box: Eggplant
• For more information on the Hollywood farmers' market and other Los Angeles area markets, visit Farmernet.com
Related: Seasonal Spotlight: Eggplant
(Images: Emily Ho)