I recently returned from Los Angeles, my hometown. One of the reasons why I love visiting LA in the winter is the bounty of crops one finds at the farmers' market. Down in Hollywood, where we hang on Sunday mornings, farmers sell a dozen varieties of citrus, several kinds of avocados, and more greenery than I see at a New York market in the height of summer. They might have gridlock, but they sure have nice winter crops.
With winter eating in mind, here's a roundup of favorite recipes from The Kitchn, using the crops that are in season right this moment from East to West. Consider it a back-pocket guide through the last weeks of winter that will keep your cooking in sync with the earth.
• Avocado Toast
• Citrus and Onion Salad
• Creamy, Tangy Avocado Dressing
• Vegan Recipe: Quick and Tangy Artichoke Barigoule
• Lemon and Sea Salt Focaccia
• Vietnamese Ginger Crab
• Fridge Clearing Avocado Soup
• Meyer Lemon Whiskey Sour: A Sunny Drink for Winter
• Blood Orange Ambrosia with Crème Fraiche
• Citrus Salad with Lemongrass Syrup
• Fried Egg Kale Toast
• Kale Slaw with Peanut Dressing
• Chicken Stew with Kale and Cannellini Beans
• Baked Potato Soup With Bacon, Onion & Cheddar
• Kale and Potato Puree
• Bacon-Wrapped Potato Bites with Spicy Sour Cream Dipping Sauce
• Kale and Apple Soup
• Maple Syrup Cocktails
• Snow Day Treat: How To Make Maple Syrup Taffy
• Rosemary Apple Turnovers with Honey
Meet in the Middle!
• Kale Salad with Blood Orange and Meyer Lemon
• Roasted Chicken Thighs with Fennel & Lemon
• Chickpea Casserole with Lemon, Herbs & Shallots
• Kale Salad with Pecorino and Lemon
• Teeny-Tiny New Potatoes with Lemon
What are the seasons like where you are, and what are you cooking right now?
(Images: Emily Ho; Rebekah Peppler; Sara Kate Gillingham-Ryan; Emily Ho; Emily Ho; Faith Durand; Kathryn Hill; Faith Durand; Leela Cyd Ross; Sara Kate Gillingham-Ryan)