I recently returned from Los Angeles, my hometown. One of the reasons why I love visiting LA in the winter is the bounty of crops one finds at the farmers' market. Down in Hollywood, where we hang on Sunday mornings, farmers sell a dozen varieties of citrus, several kinds of avocados, and more greenery than I see at a New York market in the height of summer. They might have gridlock, but they sure have nice winter crops.
We had daily salads with mandarin supremes
, a blood orange cake and perfectly ripe Pinkerton avocados in every egg burrito. For an eastern girl, it's a gift to eat so well as the calendar slogs its way to the end of winter.
Meanwhile, back in New York, we're facing the deepest darkest time for folks who eat seasonally. Aside from a few delicate greenhouse-grown greens, we're looking at the last scrappy kale, hard root vegetables and the end of the 2010 apple crop. But these things offer their own delicious pleasures too, not to be overlooked.
With winter eating in mind, here's a roundup of favorite recipes from The Kitchn, using the crops that are in season right this moment from East to West. Consider it a back-pocket guide through the last weeks of winter that will keep your cooking in sync with the earth.
• Avocado Toast
• Citrus and Onion Salad
• Creamy, Tangy Avocado Dressing
• Vegan Recipe: Quick and Tangy Artichoke Barigoule
• Lemon and Sea Salt Focaccia
• Vietnamese Ginger Crab
• Fridge Clearing Avocado Soup
• Meyer Lemon Whiskey Sour: A Sunny Drink for Winter
• Blood Orange Ambrosia with Crème Fraiche
• Citrus Salad with Lemongrass Syrup
• Fried Egg Kale Toast
• Kale Slaw with Peanut Dressing
• Chicken Stew with Kale and Cannellini Beans
• Baked Potato Soup With Bacon, Onion & Cheddar
• Kale and Potato Puree
• Bacon-Wrapped Potato Bites with Spicy Sour Cream Dipping Sauce
• Kale and Apple Soup
• Maple Syrup Cocktails
• Snow Day Treat: How To Make Maple Syrup Taffy
• Rosemary Apple Turnovers with Honey
Meet in the Middle!
• Kale Salad with Blood Orange and Meyer Lemon
• Roasted Chicken Thighs with Fennel & Lemon
• Chickpea Casserole with Lemon, Herbs & Shallots
• Kale Salad with Pecorino and Lemon
• Teeny-Tiny New Potatoes with Lemon
What are the seasons like where you are, and what are you cooking right now?
(Images: Emily Ho; Rebekah Peppler; Sara Kate Gillingham-Ryan; Emily Ho; Emily Ho; Faith Durand; Kathryn Hill; Faith Durand; Leela Cyd Ross; Sara Kate Gillingham-Ryan)