These days we're looking for something hearty to fill us up and warm us at the end of a long day that ends deep into the dark. What we want is something simple and satisfying, a nice warm soup that can be made ahead of time and reheated. One that heats us up but doesn't add pounds or guilt:• Turkey Kale Soup from Alice Waters, this soup is back to basics, good food that's good for you. Plus who doesn't like kale?
• Spicy Parsnip Soup combines winter vegetables with coriander, cumin, turmeric and chili powder. It's creamy and delicious plus it doesn't actually use any cream.
• Light, Healthy Tortilla Soup from One Healthy Mama.
• Fridge Clearing Lentil Soup from Sara Kate. We've made this one a dozen times and it's always better the next day. We almost never have bacon in the house so we skip it and it's still hearty, rich and satisfying.
• Leek and Lemon Soup: Take advantage of all the winter citrus and add them to some leaks (which are great for detoxing from sugar and white flour) for a simple soup with punch.
• Green Minestrone has a nice helping of greens with swiss chard and spinach. We'd probably choose either the macaroni or the potatoes but probably not both, if we're keeping things light!
• Indian Spiced Carrot Soup with Ginger from Epicurious
• Eat Light: Things I Find in the Refrigerator Soup: We love a good clean out of the fridge and when we can make it into a soup and eat healthy all in one then it's a win win win situation, that's why this soup is our favorite!