I live on big, hearty salads in the summer. Dinners just seem to make themselves with farmers' market tomatoes, greens, little potatoes and corn. But as evenings get cooler, I turn to meals that are heartier and often warm but still feature seasonal greens — like a casserole made with collard greens and cornmeal biscuits, or another made from baked polenta!
Fall dinners in my house are all about soups and simple casseroles. While my extended family is infamous for heavier casseroles with lots of cream, cheese, and pasta, I try to incorporate good greens, fresh herbs, and vegetables whenever I can. With pumpkins and squashes in season right this second, now is the time to experiment with different greens, grains, and vegetables for your next evening meal.
Try a Recipe:
• Collard Cobbler with Cornmeal Biscuits - The Yellow House
• Baked Polenta with Cheese and Swiss Chard - Washington Post
• Butternut Squash and Creamed Spinach Casserole - Sauce and Sensibility
• Hearty White Bean and Kale Casserole - Bistro Katie
• Mustard Green Gratin - Everything is Homemade
(Image: Sarah of Yellow House)