Everyone around me seems to be revving up their fitness routine to get ready for spring. Friends order salads when we eat out, and family members are working out twice in one day. Me? I'm eating cake for breakfast.
Now cake for breakfast isn't entirely a new thing. We've all had our fair share of coffeecake and sneaking a swipe of leftover birthday cake with our morning coffee.
But there's a whole world out there beyond the typical and expected morning treat. From a glorious spring breakfast buckle to a savory French-inspired cake, there's inspiration aplenty here for the days when you're ready to retire your ho-hum breakfast cereal or skip a morning at the gym.
Here are 15 cakes that I think would suit breakfast very well. You can reduce the sugar just a wee bit, and leave off the icing in the recipes, too.
15 Cakes Suitable for Breakfast
From The Kitchn
• Apple Yogurt Cake with a Cinnamon-Sugar Streak
• Dark Gingerbread Pear Cake
• Zucchini and Olive Breakfast Cake, French-Style
• Oatmeal Cake with Broiled Coconut
• Orange-Scented Olive Oil Cake from Saveur
• Sour Cherry Coffee Cake from Lottie + Doof
• Blueberry Banana Cake with Cream Cheese Icing
• Peach and Cornmeal Upside-Down Cake
• Harvest Cake with Goat Cheese Frosting
• Yogurt Cake
From Around the Web
• Big Crumb Rhubarb Coffee Cake - The Naptime Chef
• Mama's Blueberry Buckle - Food and Wine
• Clementine Poppyseed Loaf - Turntable Kitchen
• Cream Cheese Pound Cake with Strawberry Coulis - Annie's Eats
• Pistachio and Chorizo Cake - David Lebovitz
Related: On Birthday Cake for Breakfast
(Images: Megan Gordon; see linked recipes for full image credits.)