Here are a few acidic ingredients you can use:
• Lemon or lime juice: Start with a teaspoon or two and add more as desired.
• Vinegar: Add half a teaspoon (or more) of your favorite vinegar.
• Tomatoes: Fresh or canned tomatoes can be finely chopped and added as a garnish at the end of cooking, or left in chunks and cooked in the soup.
• Pickles: It might sound strange, but one of my favorite ways to eat lentil soup is garnished with a big spoonful of sauerkraut. Or how about pickled red onions on a black bean soup?
• Crème fraîche, yogurt or sour cream: A small dollop on a serving of soup looks pretty and adds a refreshing tang.
Do you usually add a bit of acid to your soups? Are there any soup-friendly acidic ingredients you would add to the list?
(Image: Emma Christensen)