Dessert! We love all things sweet, gooey, and indulgent here at The Kitchn (in moderation, of course). And 2008 was a big year for our dessert recipe collection; there's no way we can recap all the new recipes here for you. But we did notice a few trends this year, beginning with chocolate and ending with pie.
Read on for a gallery of some of our favorite desserts from the year, and a roundup of the sweet, the sugary, and the very good.
• We started the year with a Bittersweet Baking contest, full of chocolate and coffee and judged by Dorie Greenspan. The winner was this recipe for Candied Kumquat & Bittersweet Chocolate Cherry Mini Galettes
• Two more entries we loved: Double Shot Chocolate Cake and Brownie Cookies.
• Our ice cream month later in the year turned up some great chocolate, too. Check out Sara Kate's Best Chocolate Ice Cream and Mexican Chocolate and Almond Ice Cream, and this contest entry: Chocolate Gelato with Salted Caramel Pecans.
• We also interviewed a master chocolate maker and showed you how to make chocolate curls.
• This spicy boozey mousse, though, is still our favorite chocolate dessert.
• So, about that ice cream contest. There were so many entries, and we wanted to try them all. There were many unique entries, like this Mango Chili Ice Cream and No Churn Lychee and Raspberry Swirl Ice Cream.
• Try this Coconut Peach Ice Cream as soon as it gets warmer, plus this Pink Lemonade Ice Cream.
• We still love the basics, though, like this honey ice cream and this easy technique from Jeni's that we used for this wedding recipe.
• We also tried this new ice cream maker.
• And ice cream is still in season; try Oreo cookie ice cream with Trader Joe's peppermint Joe-Joes and this Peppermint Ice Cream with Dark Chocolate Flecks.
• We had another big recipe contest in the fall -- this time it was pies! Our Best Pie Bakeoff was a hit, and we got so many new recipes to try. We've already made the Date Pecan Pie and the Buckeye Pie.
• We want to try the Bean Brulee Tart and Candy Apple Pie.
• We talked a lot about how to make a pie crust, with a review of the Cook's Illustrated vodka pie crust and a pictorial guide to making a pie.
• Don't forget: our president-elect really likes pie.
Cakes, Cookies, and Other Sweets
• These Peanut Butter Oatmeal Monster Cookies are always a hit, as are these Hamantaschen and Sunflower Date Cookies.
• Cakes can really reflect the season, like this Harvest Cake with Goat Cheese Frosting, this Sticky Spiked Double-Apple Cake with a Brown Sugar-Brandy Sauce, and our favorite gingerbread cake.
• Two wedding cakes this year! One with frosting, and a few without.
• Lemon spongettes were a popular lemon treat for spring.
• Lavender was a big theme: we had rhubarb lavender crumble, Honey Lavender Panna Cotta, and Blueberry Lavender Cream Pie.
Those are just a few of our favorite dessert recipes from 2008! Explore our dessert archive for more:
• Desserts from The Kitchn