- South Burlington, VT
- Square Feet:
- What makes your small kitchen so cool:
- The coolest thing about our kitchen is functionality. Our renovation improved function and safety without changing the footprint or emptying our savings. Now our kitchen makes friends easily and works well with others!
- Describe a challenge you've overcome or a smart resource you've found for your kitchen.
- Our biggest challenge was space - we lived too long with an apt-size range in a corner with the microwave stacked on top of the refrigerator (we are tall, so we had a shelves over windows/doors, and on top of the microwave). We kept many supplies in the basement or attic. Our solution was to remove one wall to allow a standard-size range and use an adjacent unused attic stairway as our pantry. The pantry stairway stores all our dry goods and small appliances. We still have to refinish the floors, add a white subway tile backsplash, and replace the pantry door. I used to make meals or just walk through the kitchen and mutter "I hate this kitchen..." now I sing "I love my kitchen!" (and I swear my cooking has improved because of it).
- What's your favorite meal to cook here?
- Co-cooking with my daughter on a Sunday morning—she cooks crepes on one side of the range, I cook omelettes on the other.
Small Cool Kitchens,
Small Space Living