Day 3: Wednesday, March 5
Assignment: Find 5 new recipes to make for breakfast
The Cooking Cure: See all assignments so far here.
Today, we're asking you to get cozy on the couch with your laptop or a pile of favorite cookbooks (or both!) and spend some time doing what we food lovers do best: prowling for recipes. We're on the hunt for new breakfast ideas that inspire, satisfy, and make our stomachs rumble. Go ahead — get lost in your favorite food resources and find recipes that will help you meet your goals. It's a mandatory assignment!
Today's Assignment (Time Estimate: 30 Minutes)
- Review Your Goals: Take a look back over those goals you made for yourself yesterday so they're fresh in your mind. Eyes on the prize.
- Go On a Recipe Hunt: Pull out all your favorite cookbooks, get that stack of old magazines out of the closet, and queue up your favorite blogs — now, get to it! Your only task for the next block of time is to let yourself sink into recipe research. Flag anything that catches your eye or makes you hungry. Check back with the list you made of foods and ingredients you want to eat more often and use those as keywords in your search.
If you're having trouble getting started, take a look at the list of resources below; I've included some of our favorites!
- Pick 5 Recipes: Pick five new recipes you want to fit into your breakfast routine. Why five? Why not just one or why not a dozen? Well, five is a handy number! Yes, it's the number of days in the work week, but we're not necessarily thinking that you'll make a new recipe every single day. Five recipes gives you some options. It narrows down your breakfast choices enough to actually feel manageable, but it's also enough to give you some variety. Our ultimate goal is to shake up your routine and get you excited about making — and eating! — breakfast every day.
As you narrow down your picks, think through them a little. Do you really have time to make that omelet before leaving for work? Would you have time if you prepped the veggies ahead? Do you have a recipe you can grab as you head to gym class on Thursday morning? Will these recipes keep you satisfied until lunch?
Once you have your Final Five, keep them handy. We'll be coming back to them tomorrow, and this time, we'll be making a shopping list!
Find a recipe you think others might like? Share it with everyone on Twitter or Facebook! Tag your tweets with #cookingcure.
Resources for Your Recipe Hunt
- 10 Make-Ahead Breakfasts to Start Your Day Off Right from The Kitchn
- Reader Intelligence: Best Make-Ahead Breakfasts? from The Kitchn
- What Are the Best Grab-and-Go Breakfasts? Plus 5 Ideas from The Kitchn
- 10 Portable and Delicious Weekday Breakfasts from The Kitchn
- Minimalist Baker - A go-to resource for nutritious baked goods as well as great smoothies and juices.
- Vegan & Gluten-Free Recipe: No-Bake Sunflower Oat Bars from The Kitchn
- With Style & Grace - Check out Lisa's recipe archive for a ton of great ideas for gluten-free breakfasts and baked goods.
- 15 Whole Grain Breakfasts to Start Your Day Off Right from The Kitchn
- Beyond Oatmeal: 5 Ways to Eat More Whole Grains for Breakfast
- Whole-Grain Mornings by Megan Gordon
The Cooking Cure Live Blog
Follow the progress of The Cooking Cure in a real live kitchen:
Join The Cooking Cure!
You can sign up at any time! Want to skip breakfast? Join us for Lunch Week, or Dinner Week. You can take the Cooking Cure however you like.
- Sign up here for The Cooking Cure
SHARE YOUR PROGRESS
- Questions? Comments? Pictures? Email us at email@example.com
- Follow and show your progress on Instagram, Pinterest, Facebook and Twitter! Make sure to use the #cookingcure hashtag.