Day 13: Wednesday, March 19
Assignment: Find 5 new recipes to make for dinner
The Cooking Cure: See all assignments so far here
Sometimes deciding what to cook is the toughest part of making dinner, don't you think? Whether you're in a total dinner rut or, the opposite, you're overwhelmed with the number of recipes you're constantly accumulating, the problem is the same: taking time to make a conscious choice about what to have for dinner.
Today, your assignment is to make that time. Set aside part of your day to sift through your cookbooks, comb your favorite blogs and magazines, and sort through your recipe box. Give yourself the time you need to find some recipes that make you excited for dinner.
Quick Mid-Week Check In!
The goal this week was to make and eat all your breakfasts and lunches — how's that going? Have you managed to stick to your plan, or did something come up that made you switch things around? Anything surprise you about your new routine? Let us know in the comments here, over on Facebook, or on Twitter with #cookingcure!
Today's Assignment (Time Estimate: 30 Minutes)
- Review Your Goals: Look over the goals you made yesterday and the list of foods you'd like to eat more often so these are fresh in your mind. As you dive into your recipe search, make sure the recipes you're flagging are staying in line with your goals.
- Go On a Recipe Hunt: And we're off! Everything is on the table here: cookbooks, your dusty stack of Gourmet back-issues, Mom's recipe box, favorite blogs and food sites. This is your chance to go totally wild with a recipe hunt. If you need some help getting started, poke through our list of favorite resources below.
Pick 5 Recipes: Now comes the hard part — narrowing down your finds to just five. Why just five? Sometimes choices can be overwhelming, or conversely, too few choices will leave you quickly back in a rut again. Start with five new recipes and commit to making them over the next few weeks. As you narrow down your choices, also make sure that the recipes you're picking match up with your new goals.
Did you find a recipe that you're particularly excited about or think others might like? What's your favorite resource for dinner ideas? Share it on Twitter, Facebook, or Pinterest!
Resources for Your Recipe Hunt
New Pinterest Inspiration for Your Favorite Foods:
Quick-Fix Weeknight Dinners
- Weeknight Meals - Pinterest
- Healthy Comfort Food - Pinterest
- 14 Simple, Delicious Recipes with Just 6 Ingredients (Plus Salt)
- 15 Quick Dinners for Your Average Tuesday Night
Make-Ahead and Slow-Cooker Meal
- Things for Your Slow Cooker - Pinterest
- Meals to Freeze Ahead of Time - Pinterest
- 5 Great Meals to Make-Ahead and Freeze
- 8 Great International Slow Cooker Recipes
- 10 Reasons to Break Out the Slow Cooker
Favorite Cookbooks and Blogs for Dinner Inspiration
- Eat Your Vegetables by Joe Yonan
- Every Grain of Rice by Fuchsia Dunlop
- Plenty by Yotam Ottolenghi
- Home Cooked by Donal Skehan
- Yummy Supper
- Nom Nom Paleo
- Naturally Ella
- Simply Recipes
- Smitten Kitchen
The Cooking Cure Live Blog:
Follow the progress of The Cooking Cure in a real live kitchen:
- Cambria Liveblogs the Cooking Cure