Pull out all the stops. Add an extra pat of butter. Spring for the nicer cut of steak. Break out the fine china. Go on! Yesterday we gave you a date night recipe for Open-Faced Ravioli with Egg and Wilted Greens, and today we have eight more recipes to add to your list.
Date nights are a fine balance between extravagance, effort, and reward. We think these recipes meet all three criteria:
• Chicken with Artichokes and Angel Hair from Martha Stewart - Angel hair pasta always seems to up the ante from casual to fancy.
• Filet Mignons with Spiced Butter, Glazed Artichokes, and Haricot Verts from Gourmet - You can have regular grilled steak any ol' time. The butter and sides make it a date night steak.
• Scallops with Polenta, Wild Mushrooms, Sherry and Parsley Breadcrumbs from Bon Appétit - Sweet, earthy, creamy, and crunchy, all in one delicious dish.
• Cheese and Asparagus Soufflé from Vegetarian Times - A guaranteed show stopper.
• Truffled Gnocchi with Peas and Chantarelles from Saveur - Homemade gnocchi, check. Truffle oil, check. Creamy sauce, check. Go for it.
• Roast Salmon with Sweet Chipotle Glaze and Hominy Puree from Epicurious - If you want to spice things up a bit.
• Tagliatelle with Spinach, Mascarpone, and Parmesan from Jamie Oliver - Simple enough to throw together after work. Awesome enough to make you swoon.
• Lamb Chops with Cilantro-Mint Sauce from Leite's Culinaria - This recipe will definitely win you some kisses.
What's your favorite date night dish?
Related: 7 Bright and Refreshing Ways to Toast Spring: Straight Up Cocktails
(Image: Martha Stewart and Martyn Thompson/Gourmet)
(Originally published April 22, 2011)