- Aurora, CO
- Square Feet:
- What makes your small kitchen so cool:
- Curves and color! A friend describes the look of our house as "cheerful." When we found it, it was a drab, post WW2 "cracker box" begging for help. The kidney-shaped island not only makes us smile, it serves as a place to cook, eat, visit, watch TV, and work on projects.
- Describe a challenge you've overcome or a smart resource you've found for your kitchen.
- All of the utilities were in the wrong place for a functional, modern kitchen. The original refrigerator, stove, and stacked washer/dryer stood side-by-side along one wall. The swing of the backdoor took up needed space. The wall between the kitchen and living room was confining. So we gutted the entire space, rearranged the electrical and plumbing, put in a sliding glass door, new windows, and opened up the wall to the living area. Merged living became the concept for every decision – kitchen merging into eating area, into multimedia center, into living room.
Appliances, cabinets, doors and windows came from builder outlets; lighting and an orange microwave oven from craigslist.org; 1950s cabinet handles were free at a yard sale. The spice rack is a piece of scrap steel dotted with holes. Jars 2.5” fit the holes.
- What's your favorite meal to cook here?
- International dishes are our favorites. We love to test recipes from bloggers all over the world and to watch the techniques shown by Jacques Pepin, Patti's Mexican Table, Lidia's Italy, Cooking with Ming, and Primal Grill.
Small Cool Kitchens,
Small Space Living