All this curing and aging makes for one extra-special cured meat. Sliced wafer-thin, prosciutto literally melts on the tongue. With its intense flavor, a little goes a long way (which is also convenient since a more than little can often cost quite a lot at the deli counter).
Prosciutto fantastic all on its own, perhaps needing only slice of baguette or wedge of aged cheese to act as edible vehicle. A sandwich with prosciutto, mozzarella, and fresh basil is heavenly. Also try adding it to salads, layering it on pizza, and tossing it with a creamy pasta.
• Asparagus Spread and Prosciutto on Toast
• Prosciutto and Mozzarella with Poached Eggs
• Asparagus Spears Wrapped in Prosciutto and Phyllo
• Spelt Crust Pizza with Fennel, Prosciutto, and Apples
• Grilled Potato, Gorgonzola, and Prosciutto Pizza
• Strozzapretti with Pecorino, Prosciutto, and Something Green
Do you love prosciutto? What do you like to do with it?
(Image: Elizabeth Passarella)