Ah, the humble cucumber. This ubiquitous and versatile vegetable has so much going for it — its mild flavor, no-cook convenience, and refreshing crisp texture make it a go-to for so many appetizers. Here are some of our favorite cuke ideas for your spring and summer gatherings.
Raise your Pinky for These 5 Cucumber Sandwiches
- Raw Cucumber Sandwiches with Herbed Cashew Cream Cheese - Even the bread is raw! These open-faced beauties are ready for prime time.
- The Guardian breaks it down, giving the pros and cons of every variable in the cucumber sandwich equation.
- Run a fork down the sides of the cucumber before slicing for a pretty effect, as seen on these bite-sized dainties from Robyn at add a pinch.
- Try a different format, subbing in lavash bread or flour tortillas for the usual white bread Pinwheels are a natural for the cucumber and cream cheese treatment. This version with avocado, turkey, and cheese is kid-friendly, too.
- Krista at Joyful Healthy Eats kicks up her cream cheese with Italian dressing before spreading it on slices of whole wheat baguette.
Beyond Crudités: Cucumbers as Crackers, 5 Ways
- Slice cucumbers about a quarter-inch thick to use as the base for toppings, or slice thinly and place on top of a round cracker like our Cool Shrimp and Cucumber Crackers.
- Shannon adds a slice of radish for even more color and crunch on these Cucumber Flower Bites, and the cream cheese topping is flavored with fresh lemon zest and mint.
- Shelly has a ton of snack and appetizer ideas using cucumber crackers. Check out her dips, toppings, and mini sandwiches.
- Dill-spiked salmon salad is a natural atop rounds of cucumber. These are gluten-free, dairy-free, and low-carb too.
- Cutting your cucumber rounds on the bias means more surface area for toppings. Take a cue from these tuna tartare bites by Blue Mountain Bistro.
Fill 'Em Up: 5 Cucumber Cups
- Soy and sesame-doused soba noodles nestled in cucumber cups, topped with a sprinkle of thinly-sliced scallions. These two-bite appetizers hold together surprisingly well, thanks to the soba noodles' rough texture.
- Channel your inner Martha Stewart and make these Salmon-Mousse Cucumbers Cups by, you guessed it, Martha Stewart. If you're feeling really ambitious, you can use the leftover cucumber peels to make a beautiful woven mat while you're at it!
- Jackie's Cucumber Cups with skinny artichoke dip use Greek yogurt in place of the usual cream cheese.
- While we'd rather not look at another boring bowl of spinach dip, we'd happily gobble up Allen's pretty cucumber cups filled with the stuff. It's always nice to see a classic with a new spin!
- Make your cucumber cups twice as tall and they magically become edible shot glasses, perfect for filling with a chilled soup. This Spicy Smoked Gazpacho from Viking is sitting pretty — a vichyssoise would be perfect like this, too.