Ah, the humble cucumber. This ubiquitous and versatile vegetable has so much going for it — its mild flavor, no-cook convenience, and refreshing crisp texture make it a go-to for so many appetizers. Here are some of our favorite cuke ideas for your spring and summer gatherings.
Raise your Pinky for These 5 Cucumber Sandwiches
Cool Shrimp and Cucumber Crackers
Beyond Crudités: Cucumbers as Crackers, 5 Ways
Chilled Soba in Cucumber Cups
Fill 'Em Up: 5 Cucumber Cups
- Soy and sesame-doused soba noodles nestled in cucumber cups, topped with a sprinkle of thinly-sliced scallions. These two-bite appetizers hold together surprisingly well, thanks to the soba noodles' rough texture.
- Channel your inner Martha Stewart and make these Salmon-Mousse Cucumbers Cups by, you guessed it, Martha Stewart. If you're feeling really ambitious, you can use the leftover cucumber peels to make a beautiful woven mat while you're at it!
- Jackie's Cucumber Cups with skinny artichoke dip use Greek yogurt in place of the usual cream cheese.
- While we'd rather not look at another boring bowl of spinach dip, we'd happily gobble up Allen's pretty cucumber cups filled with the stuff. It's always nice to see a classic with a new spin!
- Make your cucumber cups twice as tall and they magically become edible shot glasses, perfect for filling with a chilled soup. This Spicy Smoked Gazpacho from Viking is sitting pretty — a vichyssoise would be perfect like this, too.
More Cucumber Recipes from The Kitchn
(Image credits: Coco Morante; Hannah; Faith Durand; Emma Christensen)