Like this entry? Favorite it below!
- St. Louis, MO
- Square Feet:
- What makes your small kitchen so cool:
- This has been our test kitchen! Learning to put down tile (and backer board), going through three paint colors before finding the perfect cheerful blue and scrounging for functional storage (and good looking furniture) at thrift stores and antique malls has been so much fun. Not only do we enjoy the kitchen a lot now, we enjoyed the path we took to get us here.
- Describe a challenge you've overcome or a smart resource you've found for your kitchen.
- Our kitchen was one part 1980s and one part original to our 1930s brick bungalow. We didn't want to overimprove the house, so we worked with what we had -- painting the cabinets, removing the weird built in (see the before photo) and splurging on a new countertop of recycled glass and concrete (all 8'-6" of it). My favorite item in the kitchen is probably the Grundtal rail system from Ikea. A place for everything and everything in its place!
- What's your favorite meal to cook here?
- The husband is the real cook and he says gumbo (one pot with meat for him and another veggie for me). He'll stay in there all day on a Sunday, simmering and tasting. The smell is tantalizing and the taste is worth the wait.
See all entries
More posts in this series
Small Cool Kitchens 2012