Did you know that it’s prime time for jicamas right now? We’ve always associated these knobby brown roots
with summer salads, so we didn’t realize until recently that their peak season is actually in the winter months. Here are five recipes to take advantage of jicamas while they’re at their best.• Clementine Jicama Salad from Gourmet
- How perfect with clementines also coming into season!
• Jicama, Kirby, and Carrot Salad with Charred Lamb from Food & Wine - The idea of this crisp salad with hearty lamb sounds like a great combination.
• Steamed Pork and Jicama Dumplings from Epicurious - We’re curious how the crunchy and sweet jicama would pair with the savory pork in this recipe.
• Chicory, Jicama, and Pecan Salad from Martha Stewart - We love hearty salads like this in the winter months.
• Yucatan Pork Tenderloin with Jicama, Avocado, and Red Onion Salad from Fine Cooking - The cumin and oregano in this dish sound really good to us.
What are your favorite jicama recipes right now?
Related: Seasonal Spotlight: Celery Root
(Image: Ditte Isager/Gourmet)