When was the last time you baked fresh yeasted bread at home? I have not been baking bread very frequently, and I miss it! That irresistible fragrance of crusty bread in the oven, and the hot, steaming slices with pats of butter — so delicious! I fully intend to bake a loaf of bread this week, so to inspire you and myself, here's a look back at some yeast breads we've featured on The Kitchn — starting, of course, with that delicious and convenient No-Knead Bread!
No-Knead Bread was such a hit in my household. I do think the name of No-Knead Bread is a little misleading, though. It's not the no-knead part of the recipe that makes this bread so good. I don't mind kneading bread at all — it's therapeutic, in fact. No, this bread is wonderful because of its very wet dough (which makes kneading almost impossible) and therefore its rustic, artisan-quality crumb. It's also spectacularly easy and, with its flexible overnight raise time, very convenient.
I think, personally, that No-Knead Bread introduced a huge group of cooks to wet, slow-rise breads, and they realized for the first time that bread could be both convenient and easy. This may be old hat to many of you, but lots of cooks simply didn't realize bread could be so accessible and easy to slip into their busy schedules. No-Knead Bread changed that, and so I do think its moniker is slightly besides the point.
I would like to call it Mix-and-Forget-About-It-Then-Bake-to-Great-Applause-Bread. But it doesn't have quite the same ring, eh?
Anyway, whatever you to choose to call it, here's a look at No-Knead Bread, No-Time Bread, No-Knead Bread in a sandwich loaf, and much, much more.
• 1 No-Time Bread - Yeast bread in less than 75 minutes. For real!
• 2 No-Knead Bread in a Hurry - The classic recipe.
• 3 No-Knead Bread Hack: Making a Sandwich Loaf Instead - Great flavor and easy bread, but for sandwiches.
• 4 Recipe: No-Knead Challah - Rich and eggy.
• 5 Recipe Review: Daniel Leader's Ricotta Bread - Moist and spongy.
• 6 Recipe: Beginner Sourdough Loaf - Step-by-step instructions on getting that sourdough flavor.
• 7 Recipe Review: Oatmeal Toasting Bread - Nutty and crunchy.
• 8 Recipe: Easy Homemade Pita Bread - Make your own pita pockets.
• 9 Recipe Review: Authentic Ciabatta from Cook's Illustrated - Chewy ciabatta!
• 10 Recipe Review: Yeast-raised Cornbread - Cornbread, with yeast.
• 11 Recipe: Potato Dough Rolls - Chewy, moist, and addictive.
• 12 Pan co'Santi: Walnut Bread from Jim Lahey - A special treat!
• 13 No-Knead Recipe: Cheddar and Chiles Bread - Cheesy bread! How can you go wrong?
Have you tried any particularly good yeast breads lately? I am definitely looking for some new recipes to try!
(Images: See linked posts for full image credits.)