It's easy to get in a reading rut. I always gravitate to books that deal with food in some regard. (My boyfriend jokes that he may just walk in one day and find me reading "a real book.") The same thing happens with blogs: I have my tried-and-true favorites and don't often stray, for lack of time more than curiosity. But I recently researched summer salads for a writing project and discovered a few beautiful blogs I hadn't known before. These folks specialize in developing stunning salad recipes. Ready to hear more?
Summer salads can be a funny thing because most of the time I'm perfectly content cutting up a ripe tomato and dousing it with a bit of olive oil. Or slicing up a head of lettuce and drizzling it with a good buttermilk dressing. For more involved salads, I love making a good chopped salad or a healthy taco salad, but generally simplicity rules in the summer when the produce is so darn good. And when simplicity rules, sometimes boredom can set in more quickly than it should. If this is the case for you as well, these five blogs are your answer for a summer salad wake-up call:
1. Love and Lemons: Jeanine and Jack are behind this beautiful blog that manages to chronicle crave-worthy salads practically every week. From a recent Edamame and Corn Succotash to a Grilled Panzanella with Poached Egg, there is something for everyone and every kind of day or mood. With lovely photos to boot.
2. My New Roots: This blog is the real deal for folks searching for solid nutritional information on whole foods, grains, and the nutritional impact of their diet. Created by Sarah Britton, a holistic nutritionist, this blog not only features wonderful recipes (Caramelized Fennel and Goat Cheese Flatbread, anyone?) but insightful and educational information about nutrition and the benefits of different foods. Check it out.
3. Naturally Ella: Erin Alderson's blog has a tagline: Live Natural, Be Healthy, Eat Delicious. And so it is. After years of living on fast food and watching a family health crisis, Erin decided to change her diet to involve more whole foods and grains. Her site chronicles some of her recipes beautifully, with salads such as Summer Farro Salad or this Warm Mustard Potato Salad (mayo-free!). Hint: check out her section, Bulk Bins, for great information on whole grain cooking.
4. Sprouted Kitchen: If you're not already familiar with Sprouted Kitchen, you're in for a treat. Delightful food and photo duo Sara and Hugh Forte are the force behind this stunning blog (and soon-to-be book!) focusing on whole foods and approachable vegetarian fare. While you'll find a very balanced approach to cooking (with a fair share of treats, for sure), I'm always inspired by Sara's salads. She'll take you from a simple and more traditional Simple Tomato Burrata Salad to an innovative Beet Green Chopped Salad without a blink of an eye.
5. Good Things Grow: Jacqui's mission with her beautiful blog is to create a space for "whole food recipes and the experiences that come with living simply." She and husband Scott own a graphic design company in the Pacific Northwest and in their free time, make delicious salads (and other dishes, of course). A recent Arugula, Wild Rice and Apricot Salad is on our immediate radar.
What are your favorite food blogs for summer salads?
Related: Picnic Recipe: Brown Rice Salad With Apples, Walnuts and Cherries
(Image: Naturally Ella)