The Average Cow Weighs... Cow Trivia from Shatto Dairy

Know your milk! (And cream...) Do you know how much milk the average cow gives in a day? How about how much the average cow weighs? Find out below - these answers plus more dairy trivia from our recent tour of Shatto Dairy.

Did you know?

• The average cow weighs 1400 pounds.

• Cows produce 90% of the world's milk. The other 10% comes from milking water buffaloes, camels, goats, sheep, horses and reindeer.

• A cow's spots are like their fingerprints. No two cows have the same pattern.

• Cows are milked 310 days out of the year. The other two months they get "maternity leave" to save their strength for the birthing process of new calves.

• Just like humans, cows can not be milked until they have had a baby.

• A cow typically gives birth to it's first calf at 2 years of age and their gestation period is 9 months... just like humans.

• Until they give birth for the first time, the animals are technically called heifers. Once they have birthed a calf, they are then a "cow."

• An average cow produces 6 to 7 gallons of milk per day.

Good milk and cream make good ice cream - we love finding good local milk! Any more local milk suggestions or other agricultural trivia to share?

Related: Good Milk: Snowville Creamery

(Images: Sarahrae)

Recommended by Apartment Therapy

Around the Web

Categories

Shopping, Dairy

Faith is the executive editor of The Kitchn and the author of three cookbooks. They include Bakeless Sweets (Spring 2013) as well as The Kitchn's first cookbook, which will be published in Fall 2014. She lives in Columbus, Ohio with her husband Mike.

2 Comments