Do your New Year's resolutions include mastering a new project in the kitchen? Here are five cooking skills that might be on your list — along with the tutorials and recipes to get you started.
• Start canning: It's never too late to master the art of putting up preserves, pickles and produce to enjoy throughout the year.
• Improve your knife skills: Better knife skills mean faster, safer cooking. These ten tutorials cover the basics. Don't forget to use a sharp knife!
• Make bread from scratch (even on a busy weeknight): From 15-minute biscuits to no-knead bread started the night before, there is a homemade bread to fit every schedule.
• Stock up on homemade condiments: From-scratch mayonnaise, mustard, ketchup and hot sauce are simple to make and taste much better than their store-bought counterparts.
• Play around with fermentation: There is magic in the way fermentation transforms milk to yogurt, cabbage to kimchi, and grains to beer. Why not give it a try this year?
What new kitchen skills are you hoping to master in the coming year?
Related: Home Ec: What Cooking Skills Should Everyone Know?
(Image: Emma Christensen; Faith Durand)