We all know Cookie Monster loves to eat cookies, but it turns out he's quite the baker, too! Cookie Monster's famous cookie dough recipe first appeared in Big Bird's Busy Book, from the 1970's. If you like a bit of nostalgia mixed in with your sugar and eggs, this recipe is for you:
If it's difficult to read the instructions above, here they are verbatim:
3/4 cup unsalted butter or margarine, softened
1 cup sugar
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking flour
1 teaspoon salt
Medium-sized mixing bowl
Measuring cup and spoons
1. Put 3/4 cup of butter or margarine (that's a stick and a half) into your mixing bowl.
2. Measure 1 cup of sugar.
3. Pour sugar over butter.
4. With fork, squash butter and sugar together until they are blended.
5. Crack shells of two eggs and pour eggs over mixture in bowl.
6. Measure 1 teaspoon vanilla and pour over mixture.
7. With fork, blend everything in the bowl together.
8. Measure 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour and pour over mixture in bowl.
9. Measure 1 teaspoon baking powder and sprinkle over flour.
10. Measure 1 teaspoon of salt and sprinkle over flour and baking powder.
11. Mix everything together either with the fork or with your hands.
12. Put dough in icebox to chill (at least one hour)
There are no instructions for baking from this print, but a quick search for others' experiences with the recipe and recommendations say to roll out cookies 1/4 inch thick, sprinkle with sugar, and bake at 400 degrees.
Have you ever made Cookie Monster's cookie dough recipe? Have any favorite variations or additions?
Related: Cookie Recipe: Best Cut-Out Sugar Cookies
(Images: 1. Via Brainpicker; 2. Annmarie Kostyk)