They estimate their costs based on 11-cents per kilowatt-hour and give instructions for how to calculate your cost if the price per kilowatt-hour is different in your area.
Here are some of their estimates:
• Refrigerator-Freezer and Auto-Defrost (20-24 cubic feet): 600 watts, $10.27/month
• Microwave Oven (estimating 30 minutes per day): 1500 watts, $2.49/month
• Garbage Disposal (estimating 5 minutes per day): 800 watts, $.22/day
• Dishwasher (wash cycle only): 300 watts, $.04/use
Some of this energy use and their prices may seem insignificant, but it does add up. We think that even trimming down use on a few appliances or switching to more energy-saving appliances can make a difference over the long run.
What do you think?
• Making Cents of Electricity from the First Energy Corporation (opens to a .pdf)