5 Favorite Winter Liquors:
1. Bourbon: I find myself reaching for brown liquors more than gin or vodka in the winter, and bourbon is my choice here. If you're new to bourbon or whiskey cocktails. a good place to start is A Sazerac, An Old-Fashioned or A Presbyterian.
2. Tuaca: With its characteristic citrus and vanilla notes, Tuaca is wonderful stirred into hot cider or hot chocolate.
3. Grand Marnier: An orange-flavored Brandy, Grand Marnier is often sipped neat or shaken into a variety of cocktails (usually featuring whiskey or bourbon). My favorite way to enjoy it is with a little club soda and an orange wedge.
4. Goldschlager:We don't own Goldschlager at home, but I'll occasionally order it when out on a cold evening. The Swiss cinnamon schnapps will warm you up in a heartbeat!
5. Calvados: This French apple-flavored brandy is a great one to have around. I like to experiment mixing it with cognac and sweet vermouth for a darker cocktail or sip it with a little port for a sweet, after-dinner treat.
What's your favorite winter-appropriate liquor?
(Image: Nancy Mitchell)