For a baking recipe that's more of a special treat than an everyday affair, I like a nice tawny port like Taylor Fladgate for its smooth, mellow sweetness. Tawny ports are fully aged in seasoned oak casks so they have a rich earthiness that many other ports can lack (and in the aging, gain an amber or tawny color). For that reason, they enhance the flavors of many fall fruits, chocolate and nuts. So while lovely to sip after dinner, I've started to incorporate glugs into my favorite cooler-weather baking recipes.
A Few Recipes to Try:
• Cherry Ricotta Pie with Cherry Port Sauce - Creative Culinary
• Prune and Port Bread - Wives with Knives
• Plum and Port Crostata - Martha Stewart
• Strawberry Mascarpone Tart with Port Glaze - Epicurious
• Sweet Chocolate Port Cupcakes - The Food Network