Browsing through the presidential candidates' websites last night, we came across only one website giving any time to food issues. Not exactly the Farm Bill
level stuff we were after, but we have to hand it to Cindy McCain for sharing seven of her favorite recipes.
We'd like to propose a challenge: for you, our fine patriotic readers, to whip up all seven, and send us the photos. The first person to get through it all (with a full review), will receive a Democratic or Republican candidate BBQ apron of their choice. Heck, we'll send you any candidate's apron.
So get your pasta pentola and non-stick skillets fired up, it's time to cook with Cindy. Here are her recipes:
• Farfalle Pasta with Turkey Sausage, Peas, and Mushrooms
• Ahi Tuna with Napa Cabbage Slaw*
• Rosemary Chicken Breasts and Warm Spinach Salad with Bacon
• Crab Scampi and Whole Wheat Spaghetti **
• Homemade Guacamole
• Mixed Fruit Tart
• Passion Fruit Mousse
* Here in The Kitchn, we do not advocate cooking with or eating Ahi (also called Yellowfin) Tuna due to its mercury levels and the management and by-catch level issues associated with it. To read more on Ahi Tuna, please see The Blue Ocean Institute's Species Score Card
** According to the Monterey Bay Aquarium's Seafood Watch Program, and The Blue Ocean Institute, many species of crab score pretty well in terms of abundance, by-catch, and management, but Dungeness Crab is probably your best bet.