- Manhattan, KS
- Square Feet:
- What makes your small kitchen so cool:
- To us, our kitchen is great because we've gotten to experiment and build it ourselves since we bought this house, our first, on Halloween. We've done everything since the 'before' image from scratch, just the two of us. We feel like that makes it about as personal as it can be.
- Describe a challenge you've overcome or a smart resource you've found for your kitchen.
- The biggest challenge we have had so far is that the kitchen was not really a kitchen when we purchased the house, as seen in the first image. There was no oven, MDF composed a small counter, but there were these wonderful custom plywood cabinets that were never finished. However, the basement apartment was too well done (in the eyes of a young couple with no kids and degrees in architecture) not to buy the house and finish it ourselves. We've experimented along the way- building and pouring our own plywood and resin countertop, making the cabinet doors from scratch, and building some extra cabinets and a window shelf. Finally, as seen in two of the photos, I built a custom slide out pantry that makes all of our food easily accessible.
- What's your favorite meal to cook here?
- Emmy loves to make pitas and hummus from scratch (because she can roll them out on the large counter and watch them puff at eye level , she says) and I love to make apple pies, no cheating on the crust, with french tart style tops.
Small Cool Kitchens,
Small Space Living