Tex-Mex is a curious blend of cuisines. You get some truly authentic Mexican dishes and others with distinctly cowboy origins. Throw in a California avocado or two, and there you have it. If this is fusion, we welcome it.
1. Jalapeno Poppers from Gourmet Magazine - Just one is never enough.
2. Acapulco Enchiladas from Sunset Magazine - Almonds and chopped olives give these enchiladas a southwestern twist!
3. Ranch Chicken from Pioneer Woman - Bacon makes everything better. And bigger.
4. Puffy Tacos from Homesick Texan - A uniquely Texan treat!
5. Baja-Style Tempura Fish Tacos from Leite's Culinaria - Add a Japanese influence to that blend of Tex-Mex cuisines!
6. Texas Caviar from Martha Stewart - Nothing like this blend of black-eyed peas and roasted red peppers to round out a meal.
7. Beef Chili with Sour Cream and Cheddar Biscuits from Smitten Kitchen - Here's one for those of you struggling to make it through the last few days of winter.
8. 7-Layer Bean Dip from Simply Recipes - A required pre- and post-dinner snack.
9. Skirt Steak Fajitas from Saveur Magazine - You know you want one.
10. Grilled Stuffed Peppers from Epicurious - On the grill or under the broiler, these are make excellent party dish.
What's your favorite Tex-Mex food?
(Image: Romulo Yanes/Gourmet)