And while it's great to make light soups, sometimes there's nothing that beats the silkiness of a creamy bowl of something warm, especially when what's responsible for its richness is cheese. Here, recipe after recipe for some of the cheesiest — in a good way! — soup recipes we can't wait to make, like Sweet Potato Soup with Feta and Zaatar Oil, Asparagus Soup with Parmesan Custards, and a simple Spinach and Blue Cheese Soup. And that's just the beginning. Read on!There are so many cheese soup recipes out there, we had no idea! With so many options to fulfill both our cheese and soup cravings in one bowl, Soup Week could easily last a month. There's even a website called cheesesoup.com, with recipes like Tortilla Soup with Cheese, Jalepeno Cheese Soup, and Cheese and Apple Soup
Here are some of our top selections:
Cheese Soup Recipes From The Kitchn
• French Onion Soup with Gruyere Cheese - So warming, and so quick! The cheese really makes this soup special. We have step-by-step instructions, too.
• Chili - A classic cheese-topped soup. Here's our formula, make it your own! Suggested cheeses? Pepper Jack and Cheddar... yum.
• Tomato Soup with Toasted Cheese Croutons - Combines a favorite duo. Very clever.
• Vegetarian Split Pea Soup with Grilled Cheese Croutons - Hm. Maybe grilled cheese goes well more soups than just tomato? Safe bet.
Cheese Soup Recipes From Around the Web
• Onion and Barley Soup with Swiss Cheese Flan from Bon Appetit - Each serving receives an individual, creamy flan, atop a simple, sherry-infused barley soup.
• Roasted Eggplant Soup with Goat Cheese from Smitten Kitchen - With roasted tomatoes, garlic, and a touch of cream. Paired with pita and a Greek salad (or check out our other bread and salad suggestions for soup), it's a complete meal.
• Butternut Squash & Apple Soup with Melted Blue Cheese from Epicurious - What already looks like a delicious soup gets garnished with a melted dollop of blue cheese and heavy cream.
• Cheddar Beer Soup from Gourmet's Diary of a Foodie - Might this be the perfect football-watching soup? (It'd make a pretty good option for a cold Wednesday night, too.)
• Cheddar & Cauliflower Soup from Fine Cooking - A nice variation on a broccoli and cheese soup.
• Nate Appleman's Minestra Maritata from Martha Stewart - Made with a rich Grana Padano cheese broth, brocolli rabe, cabbage, dandelion, and homemade chicken and fennel meatballs.
• Sweet Potato Soup with Feta and Zaatar Oil from Food 52 - Zaatar oil? Why didn't we think of that?!
• Ricotta, sage, and garlic dumplings for soup from Food 52 - Another genius idea. These look so good — hearty and rich dumplings for your soup of choice.
• Asparagus Soup with Parmesan Custards from Gourmet - Wow, this is elegant. Next dinner party?
• Dutch Farmer's Cheese Soup from Bon Appétit - Topped with Gouda cheese and then broiled, with potatoes, cauliflower, and carrots.
• Spinach and Blue Cheese Soup from The New York Times - A blue cheese soup base, with wilted spinach and shrimp. Different, yes!
• Alton Brown's Cheese Soup from The Food Network - A creamy soup with Fontina and Marsala. Fontina in a soup has very strong potential.
What's your favorite cheese soup? Share away!
Nora Singley is an avid lover of cheese, and for some time she was a cheesemonger and the Director of Education at Murray's Cheese Shop in New York City, where she continues to teach cheese classes for the public. She is currently an assistant TV chef on The Martha Stewart Show.