Attend any wedding, any reception, any event at all of any magnitude in the South and you'll be sure to find a platter of crunchy cheese straws on the table. Their presence is a sure sign that you're welcome at the table. Do you have memories of this buffet staple?Cheese straws are deceptive in their simplicity. Basically a mix of flour, butter, and cheese, they puff up in the oven and become crispy wands of cheese-scented goodness. Irresistible.
We love mixing up the cheese used in the recipe. Smoky gouda is perfect for an afternoon barbecue. Parmesan for a classy dinner party. Cheddar is always a winner for brunches and pot lucks.
Whether you're in the South or not, cheese straws make a fantastic party appetizer:
• Edna Lewis' Old-Fashioned Cheese Straws from The Kitchn
• Puff Pastry Cheese Straws from The Kitchn
• Parmesan Straws from Martha Stewart
• Classic Cheese Straws from The Splendid Table
• Cayenne-Spiced Cheese Straws from Epicurious
What's your favorite kind of cheese straw?
Related: Southern Tradition: Sip 'n' See
(Image: Martha Stewart)