2. Max Out the Chicken: So often the actual chicken meat gets lost in chicken soup. Try adding chunks of shredded chicken toward the end of your cooking process to preserve texture.
• Ajiaco Chicken and Potato Soup
3. Add Another Protein: Throw in some sweet or spicy sausage next time you're making chicken soup and prepare for an entirely new hearty take on the classic. And how about adding turkey, a crisped piece of duck, a poached egg, or even tofu?
• Hearty Kale and Sausage Soup
4. Introduce a New Flavor: Lemongrass does wonders for tired chicken soup as does curry powder. Even a small amount of a new spice will add interesting depth to your soup.
• Chicken Noodle Soup with Curry & Spinach
5. Pack in the Vegetables: Do you usually limit the veggies in your chicken soup to celery, carrots, and onions? Bulk up the vegetables and add spinach, kale, potatoes, or butternut squash.
• Chicken Soup with Kale and Cannellini Beans
Related: How to Make Chicken Stock
(Images: Rebekah Peppler)