Did you know it's National Farmers Market Week? And what better time to celebrate our local markets than at the height of summer, when the stands are brimming with glorious tomatoes, corn, eggplant, squash, stone fruits, and more. Here are some ways to honor the occasion…• Find a market
– According to the USDA, there are 5,274 farmers' markets across the country. Have you been meaning to check out your local market or take a field trip to a new one in your area? Search for farmers' markets at Local Harvest
or the USDA
• Try something new – Grist's Bonnie Azab Powell had a great idea: cook outside your comfort zone this week. Do you always visit the same vendors and buy the same fruits and vegetables? When you visit the farmers' market this week, pick up something unfamiliar. Ask the seller or fellow shoppers for cooking suggestions or ask us here at The Kitchn!
• Bring a friend – Introduce someone else to the pleasures of community-based food shopping and seasonal, local food.
• Throw a party – Invite a few friends over for a farmers' market-themed dinner party or potluck (or canning party!). You could even make a day of it and do the shopping together beforehand.
• Share with us – Finally, tell us about your favorite farmers' market in the comments!
Related: The Farmers' Market: Helpful Hints and Etiquette Tips
(Image: Emily Ho)