What, to you, is comfort food? For my husband, it's a big bowl of pasta. For me, it's probably a thick slice of toast with butter scraped across the top, or half a peanut butter and honey sandwich. These tastes are all connected to childhood memories of lunches and suppers eaten at home, in the safety of the family table, being fed by people who loved us. What are those foods for you? A gooey pasta and chicken casserole? Roast chicken? Miso soup and rice? Meatloaf? Or maybe your comfort food tastes run sweet — to chocolate no-bake cookies or carrot cake with cream cheese icing.
We have those recipes and more for you today, as we're talking family recipes and classic homestyle cooking all week at The Kitchn. Here is a look at 15 of our own favorite homestyle comfort foods, from roast chicken to chili to fried rice. There are vegetarian recipes, and sweet ones too. These are simple foods, the ones we return to for nourishment and comfort, and always at the home table since there really is no other place like it.
CLASSIC HOMESTYLE DINNERS
• 1 Chicken & Swiss Chard Pasta Bake
• 2 Quick Tomato Sauce with Pasta
• 3 Chili with Pasta & Wisconsin Cheddar
• 4 How To Roast a Chicken
• 5 Barbecue Turkey Meatloaf
VEGETARIAN COMFORT FOOD
• 6 Chickpea Casserole with Lemon, Herbs & Shallots
• 7 How To Make Fried Rice
• 8 Miso Soup with Rice & Poached Egg
• 9 Roasted Butternut Squash Puree with Goat Cheese
• 10 Creamy Lemon Pasta with Spinach and Peas
• 11 Warm Fudgy Pudding Cake
• 12 Marking's Bibingka
• 13 No-Bake Nutella Peanut Butter Cookies
• 14 Carrot Sheet Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
• 15 Pumpkin Spice Rice Krispie Treats
OK, your turn! What's your idea of classic homestyle comfort food? What makes you feel all safe and cozy at the home table?
MORE COMFORT FOOD
• 15 Vegetarian & Vegan Comfort Food Recipes
(Images: See linked recipes for full image credits)