The panade is another Italian classics and one of our favorite cold-weather comfort foods. All you do is take day-old bread, mix it with whatever leftover vegetables and any cooked meat you might have in your fridge, and moisten everything with a bit of chicken stock. The bread soaks up the stock and turns incredibly creamy and rich in the oven. Here's the Basic Panade Recipe that we pull out whenever the craving hits.
Baked ziti, stuffed manicotti, timballos of layered vegetables, gnocchi baked with pungent cheese, and even our new favorite sformato - these are all Italian inventions of the best sort. We'll take a scoop of each, please!
What's your favorite Italian casserole?
Some recipes to inspire your next dinner:
• Baked Penne with Chicken and Sundried Tomatoes from Martha Stewart
• Tetrazzini - Special Spaghetti Cake from Jamie Oliver
• Gnocchi alla Romana - Polenta Gnocchi from Giada de Laurentis, Food Network
• Eggplant Timbale from Leite's Culinaria
• Macaroni and Cheese with Prosciutto and Taleggio from Epicurious