Our CSA gifted us with a bunch of beautiful candy cane, or chioggia, beets this week. Unfortunately, these sweet, striped roots tend to fade when cooked, so we have been searching for recipes that uphold their brilliance. Here are six of the most inspiring presentations we've discovered… PICTURED
• 1 Badass Beet Salad! - In this beautiful salad from Boots in the Oven, raw beet slices are paired with oranges, goat cheese, and roasted edamame.
• 2 Chioggia Beet Carpaccio - PopArtichoke tossed these beets with lemon juice and lightly steamed them to preserve their color.
• 3 Cream of Cauliflower Soup with Beet Chips - lisa is cooking used striped beets to make a lovely soup garnish (inspired by a recipe from Ad Hoc at Home).
• 4 Beet and Goat Cheese Tartlets - Though the beets' stripes have faded, the color still shines in these tartlets from Spoonful.
• 5 Beet Sheet - We're swooning over this presentation from a razor, a shiny knife.
• 6 Emeril's Walnut Crostini with Shaved Chiogga Beets and Local Goat Cheese - Raw beets on crostini: a new and brilliant idea!
Related: Ingredient Spotlight: Chioggia Beet
(Images: Boots in the Oven; PopArtichoke; lisa is cooking; Spoonful; Cassidy DuHon (C) 2008; all used by permission)