During this week of Kitchen & Bath Month we've been talking ovens! Now let's get down to brass tacks: If you need (or want) to buy a new oven, there is a range of prices for this major kitchen purchase. Just like any other major kitchen appliance, you can go high, or go low. Here's a look at what's available at both ends of the price spectrum. We took a look through offerings at Sears, just to have one price base to compare things. Here's a look at a few ovens from the top of the line, and the bottom. We also looked at full, stand-alone models with stovetop included, and wall models.
TOP ROW - Freestanding cooktop & oven models
1. Kenmore PRO Red 36 in. Dual Fuel Freestanding Range - $5040. The very top freestanding range/oven combos come with an electric oven and gas range — a dual fuel setup that is great for getting the best of both the gas range and electric oven. This is a gorgeous unit, with a price tag to match.
2. KitchenAid Stainless Steel 30 in. Dual Fuel Pro-Style® Range - $3879. KitchenAid gets good reviews and high marks in the high-end oven/range department. This is another dual fuel unit, but a little narrower (6 inches) than the one above, and much less expensive.
3. Kenmore Elite Stainless Steel 30 in. Freestanding Gas Range - $1495. Moving down the price range considerably, this Kenmore model offers a gas range and a gas oven. But the convection feature promises to keep a steady heat. There is also a warming drawer, which looks convenient!
4. Frigidaire Silver Mist 30 in. Electric Freestanding Range - $477. One of the cheapest stainless-steel range we saw at Sears. All electric.
5. Estate White 30 in. Gas Freestanding Range - $350. Super-budget! A simple gas stove and oven, with no frills.
BOTTOM ROW - Wall oven models
6. KitchenAid Stainless Steel Architect® Series 36 in. Single Wall Oven w/ True Convection - $3510. Fancy! Extra-wide oven, with convection and a serious price tag.
7. Maytag Stainless Steel w/Black 24 in. Gas Single Standard Clean Wall Oven with Electronic Controls - $945. A single upper oven with a lower broiler compartment. A 24" oven is definitely smaller than your standard 30" freestanding stove, but this one is still large enough to bake full sheet pans.
8. Kenmore Stainless Steel 24 in. Self-Cleaning Wall Oven - $840. Another somewhat expensive 24" model.
9. GE Appliances Black 30 in. Built-In Wall Oven - $756. The least expensive full 30-inch model we could find.
10. White 24 in. Manual Clean Wall Oven - $520. A simple budget option.
Have you ever bought a new oven — either under-stove or in-wall? What were your major price considerations? What was important to you?
(Images: Oven manufacturers)