This year's kitchen is designed by Jeff Lewis of Bravo's Flipping Out. There will be lots of chef cooking demonstrations and other fun events at the Kitchen of the Year installation over the next couple of weeks, including one of this recipe. It is from Edwin Bellanco of Morrell’s Wine Bar & Café. (If you like his style, his cooking demonstration will happen at the Kitchen of the Year on Friday, July 23rd at noon.)
Buffalo Mozzarella & Summer Vegetable Wrap
2 medium green zucchinis
1 red bell pepper
2 large portobellos
1 medium eggplant
4 cloves of garlic, peeled & chopped
1/2 cup olive oil
2 tablespoons capers, chopped
2 pieces fresh buffalo mozzarella
2 tablespoons basil, chiffonade
2 teaspoons balsamic syrup
12 pieces Boston Bibb lettuce leaves
salt and pepper to taste
1. Trim the ends of the eggplant and cut into 1/2 inch thick rounds.
2. Sprinkle each side with salt and place on a sheet tray lined with towels.
3. Place another sheet tray on top of the eggplant and place in the refrigerator for 4 hours.
4. Take the eggplant out of the refrigerator and wipe excess liquid and salt off with a towel.
5. Trim the ends of the zucchini and cut the zucchini lengthwise.
6. Place the zucchini round side up. Cut off the outer green of the zucchini leaving about 1/4 inch of the white inside attached. Discard the very center seeded part of the zucchini.
7. Trim and remove the seeds of the red pepper and cut into four equal size pieces.
8. Place the zucchini, red pepper, portobello mushroom, eggplant, garlic and olive oil in a large mixing bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
9. Place the vegetables on a sheet tray and place in a 350°F oven.
10. Roast approximately 15 to 20 minutes or until fork tender.
11. Remove from oven and let cool.
12. Dice each vegetable and mix in bowl with salt, pepper and red wine vinaigrette (below).
13. Spoon an equal amount of the vegetable mixture into each lettuce leaf.
14. Top with buffalo mozzarella, basil chiffonade, balsamic syrup, and capers.
Red Wine Vinaigrette
1/2 cup red wine vinegar
3 tablespoons lemon juice
2 teaspoons honey
2 teaspoons salt
freshly ground black pepper
1 cup olive oil
1. Combine all ingredients except for the olive oil.
(Image: House Beautiful)