If you're not familiar with buckwheat, it's actually a plant similar to rhubarb that's used whole or ground down into its characteristically beautiful flour. When you go to the store to buy whole buckwheat grains, you'll have two choices: pale green-colored groats or the already-roasted reddish groats called kasha. If you're new to buckwheat, the milder groats are an easier sell as kasha can tend towards a grassier flavor. Ground down, buckwheat flour has an earthy flavor and is wonderful in all kinds of baking recipes, from cookies to brownies to cakes. In the recipes below, buckwheat gets head billing, starring in the first meal most of us eat each day: breakfast.
What is your favorite way to eat buckwheat?
Try a Buckwheat for Breakfast!
1. Blissful Buckwheat Granola Clusters (pictured) - Oh She Glows
2. Pear and Buckwheat Pancakes - Sprouted Kitchen
3. Buckwheat Crepes - The Tart Tart
4. Buckwheat Waffles with Blueberry Maple Syrup - Oh Ladycakes
5. Potato Buckwheat Buns - Almond Corner