"If you want zucchini," says Garrison Keillor, in his drawling reminiscence of Lake Wobegon, the quintessential Midwest town too real to be real, "just go to church on Sunday. You'll have all you can handle." People in garden-minded towns should lock their car doors this time of year, or else they may find a large, moist sack of green monsters on their back seat. Do you have a sack of zucchini sitting on the front seat of your car, or on your kitchen counter? Want some fresh ideas?
Maybe you've made zucchini bread, but you're stumped on what to do with the rest of it. What about baking it stuffed with olives, tomatoes, and mozzarella? Or making a French-style savory breakfast cake? What about a hearty chickpea salad with shredded zucchini, mint, and feta? There's zucchini "butter," and a spread with zucchini and yogurt. There's so much zucchini here, you'll feel just fine leaving your doors unlocked in the church parking lot. Zucchini? Bring it on!
Want more from Garrison Keillor on the summer rhythms of small-town life? Check out this episode from 2008:
• Endless Summer, September 6, 2008
But first, just in case you haven't had your zucchini bread fix yet, and you really just want that perfect recipe ... here you go!
• How to Make Zucchini Bread
• The Best Zucchini Muffins
And now on to the rest — fresh, summery zucchini recipes.
• Chickpea, Barley, and Zucchini Ribbon Salad with Mint and Feta
• Corn and Zucchini Salad with Chives
• Grilled Zucchini and Grape Tomato Salad
• Raw Zucchini Ribbons with Parmesan
• Eight-Ball Zucchini with Eggs Baked Inside
• Zucchini Stuffed with Sausage, Mushrooms & Sage
• Zucchini Boats with Mozzarella and Olives
ZUCCHINI SPREADS & TOPPINGS
• Super Easy and Delicious Zucchini Butter
• Crostini with Zucchini Squash and Feta
• Zucchini, Mint, and Yogurt Spread
SOUP, FRITTERS & MORE
• Zucchini Garlic Soup
• Healthier Zucchini & Carrot Stuffed Fritters
• Zucchini-Potato Frittata
• Zucchini and Olive Breakfast Cake, French-Style
• Harvest Cake with Goat Cheese Frosting
What are your favorite ways to get out of the zucchini bread rut and enjoy summer's most delicious monster?
(Images: See linked recipes for full image credits)