While obviously not the most observant Jew (or, technically, a Jew at all), I know my latkes. I like them just the way my grandmother made them: pretty darn crispy on the outside but soft in the middle. Pretty salty, served with a little sour cream and applesauce.
The older I get, the more curious I am to experiment with latke recipes in my own kitchen. I don't cook with white potatoes often, so last year I had great success with sweet potato latkes and this year I thought I'd branch out even further. From parsnip to carrot to apples, here are some inspiring recipes for the moment when you're ready to break out of your white-potato-latke-bubble. I'll join you.
Try a Recipe:
• Baked Sweet Potato Latkes with Sour Cream - Turntable Kitchen
• Parsnip and Carrot Latkes - Gluten-Free Bay
• Sweet Potato and Parsnip Latkes with Chunky Five-Spice Applesauce - Food Network
• Apple Latkes - Smitten Kitchen
• Zucchini Parmesan Latkes - Epicurious
(Images: Courtesy of Smitten Kitchen)