This was one of the first weekends in NYC where it truly felt like fall -- the hint of brisk cool weather, sunny skies with a few showers, and lots and lots of apples. But what to do when the thought of another pie or sweet baked good turns you off of the season's prime fruit? Read on for 5 ways to capture the savory flavor of apples.
• Apple and Cheese-Stuffed Latkes: Latkes aren't just for Hanukkah -- apples replace potatoes in a twist on the classic recipe.
• Spelt Crust Pizza with Fennel, Prosciutto, and Apples: Thinly sliced apples as a pizza topping takes pizza to a new sweet and savory level!
• Pork Chops with Sweet-and-Sour Cabbage and Apples: You can't go wrong pairing apples with pork chops, and this version adds tangy cabbage and cider vinegar to the mix.
• Tuna, Arugula and Apple Sandwiches: Smooth tuna, crisp apples, and fresh arugula make for a crunchy take on the basic tuna sandwich.
• Braised Escarole with Apples and Bacon: Apples help cut the bitterness of escarole in this dish, with some crisp bacon to top it off.
Related: 5 Awesome Ways To Eat Apples
(Images: Sara Remington/Ancient Grains for Modern Meals; Emma Christensen)